4-5 Bell peppers (depending on how big they are)
1 c. rice (I used brown rice and orzo)
1 large sweet onion
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Cook up 1 cup of rice. I cooked mine in my rice cooker.
That way, I just measure and let it do its magic until I'm ready for it later.
2. Next, wash and dry your green peppers.
Then, generously slice off the top of your bell pepper
(you'll be chopping up the extra for the stuffing mixture)
and hollow out the inside discarding all the seeds.
I also slightly slice the bottom of the peppers to make them easier to stand when they are baking.
Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray and place green peppers in standing up.
3. Remove the stems, then chop up the pepper tops along with one large onion.
I used my mini food processor for this because I wanted pretty small pieces.
4. Heat a little olive oil and saute the onion and pepper for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove the onions and peppers and brown ground beef in the pan.
Now you could really use any meat for this stuffing- I just chose lean ground beef.
I also add garlic and onion powder to the beef while it is browning.
6. After ground beef is browned and drained, add onions and peppers back to the pan
and allow to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to blend all of the flavors.
7. Now, mix in the cooked rice and grated parmesan cheese and
warm in the pan for 1-2 minutes.
8. Stuff the filling mixture into the peppers, pushing down with a spoon
so the peppers are tightly stuffed. Top with some mozzarella cheese.
9. Cook the stuffed peppers at 375 F for about 30 minutes.
When they have about 5 minutes left, pull them out of the oven and add
a little more shredded mozzarella cheese. You can never have too much cheese!
Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.